Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How to pick the best Goalkeeper Training Drills


With there being so many Goalkeeper Training Drills on sale on the internet today, how do you know what is the best ones to go for?
As a goalkeeper coach, I think the first thing you have to look out for, is who is the coach selling these goalkeeping drills? I know goalie coaches, who are nice guys who have collated their own goalkeeper session plan drills but me personally I would not buy these drills from them  as I want to only purchase from a goalkeeper coach who has experience and has a reputation of being a great goalkeeper coach and who has developed many keepers!
I am a firm believer, if you want to be the best you have to learn from the best!
A PICTURE TELLS A THOUSAND WORDS!
I also recommend that you buy Goalkeeper Training drills DVD’s rather than purchasing these drills in a book where these drills have been drawn up and put in print.
I think why this is as important as a goalkeeper coach, is that you need to capture how intense this drill should be, how hard to work your student, what tempo is needed for this drill, shall this drill be used for kiddies or adults etc  etc and you obviously cannot get all of the above (and more) from reading a drill from a book!
Also a book will not explain a mistake thoroughly.
For example if you are watching a Goalkeeping DVD and the coach is coaching his students, and that students makes a mistake, and the coach corrects this mistake, well you can see real time how you could solve this mistake. And if you did not catch it the first time, you can always replay the DVD until you understand how to fix that particular goalkeeping problem.
Again you cannot get this from a book!
The only people I recommend getting goalkeeper coaching drills from out of a book, is goalkeeper coaches with experience. So if you are GK coach who is still wet behind the ears, my advice is get a goalkeeping DVD rather than a book. They are more or less the same price anyway and I believe will help your goalkeeping a lot more.
Best of Goalkeeping

Ray Newland

For more info visit: Goalkeeper Training Drills

No comments: