Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Womens Goalkeeping Coach

Women Goalkeeping Coaches?

I have been asked many times now, if I would recommend that young keepers should use a womangoalkeeping coach.

If you would have asked me this question ten years ago, maybe even five years ago, I would have said no way. This is because I believe to be taught by a goalkeeping coach, you should seek out a keeper coach that has been a success.

I am a firm believer that you should ideally get coached by a doer, not a theorist.

When I started Jut4keepers in 1999 the standard of womens soccer was not that great, even the best womens international teams was not really that exciting to watch. However over the past ten years you cannot deny that womens soccer has improved ten fold and as a result, so has women’s goalkeeping.

Even though some women goalkeepers may struggle to compete with the physical side of goalie coaching compared to men, they are definitely on par teaching anything technical.

There are some excellent women goalkeepers now, with the likes of Everton goalkeepers Rachael Brown and Danielle Hill, there is also the impressive Hope Solo from USA. And then you have Tania Singfield who runs the very successful goalkeeper schools Golden Gloves Academy.

So would I recommend a goalkeeper to be taught by a womengoalkeeping coach?

I would say yes, but please make sure that this gk coach has had some type of success herself as a goalkeeper. If you find a women goalkeeper coach who has had this success herself as a player, the chances are she will be able to help you develop!

No comments: